You are tired of social media and prefer to enjoy “real life” Many are like you. After all, the popular social network has meanwhile developed into a coveted place for a lot of influencers, who drive some people to white heat with their unrealistic snapshots. Instagram certainly also offers many informative pages that ensure that you like to stay on the ball. Or are you not one of those people who check out the latest stories of their friends during their lunch break or in bed in the evening? You have to decide for yourself whether the social network is worthwhile for you or not. Because one thing should be said: If you are not using Instagram anyway, then deleting your account is the best way to get rid of data ballast on the Internet. Otherwise, your unused profile will hang on your heels for ages. But is it so easy to delete your Instagram account? The answer is yes! We’ll show you how it’s done.
Deleting sound too drastic? Try deactivation
If you are undecided as to whether you really want to get rid of your account, you shouldn’t make full use of it right away. Instagram offers you an interim solution. You can not only delete your profile on the social network but also temporarily deactivate it. In this case, your account will remain hidden from other users on Instagram. This means that your posts, pictures, and videos, in particular, can no longer be viewed by others. If you want to stay incognito for a certain time, this is the perfect solution. If you want to actively get back into the action, you can reactivate your account quickly and easily. Although you can use both your smartphone and your browser on the PC for deactivation, we recommend the second solution for reasons of clarity. We will show you step by step how to deactivate your account:
- Go to www.instagram.com and log into your profile.
- Tap on the point “Edit profile”. You now have the option of adjusting your personal data and settings.
- Now select the item “Deactivate my account” and click on the link.
- A new window opens in which you (not necessarily) specify a reason for the deactivation.
- Confirm your request again with your password and finally click on “Temporarily deactivate your account”.
When the time is right and you want to actively use Instagram again, you can easily reactivate your account. All you have to do is log in with your classic login data.
Ultima Ratio: The deletion of the account
If you don’t want to do things by halves and finally turn your back on Instagram, you can just as easily delete your account. Perhaps while reading this tutorial you also remember that you still have an unused account on Halde that you haven’t used for months? Then deleting the profile is also a sensible consideration. Fortunately, Instagram doesn’t make it difficult for you to delete an account. But on the contrary. The process is very simple and can be implemented both via the app and the browser on the PC.
Delete on the PC
- Call up the following link on the browser. This is used to delete your Instagram account.
- Log in with your account details.
- Optionally, you can again state a reason why you want to delete your account.
- Enter your password again and click on “Permanently delete my account”.
- Attention: If you own several accounts, you should make sure that the correct one is selected for deletion.
Delete via app
It is possible to delete your account in the app, but unfortunately, you have to take a few detours here.
- Open the settings and select the item “Help” and then “Help area”.
- You will now automatically exit the app and will be redirected to the browser of your smartphone.
- Now tap on “Manage your account” and then on “Delete your account”.
- Then you open the point “How do I delete my account?”.
- Scroll down a little and tap on “Delete your account”.
- This is the link that forwards you to delete your account.
- Now type in your password again and confirm again that you really want to delete your profile.
Anyone who irretrievably deletes their account on a popular social network should be aware of the consequences. This starts with the fact that all of your posts are lost. But that’s not the only thing that you no longer have access to. In addition, all pictures, videos, followers, likes, and Insta-Stories are irretrievably lost. If you are attached to your posts but don’t want to pay the price of an active account, you can do a convenient backup. Since this also involves work, deactivating your account is probably the most convenient solution in most cases. Here you can first think about whether you really want to give up your profile or not. Finally, you can always delete your account at a later point in time if the situation proves to be intolerable.
If you are afraid of losing good memories, you can save your pictures before deleting the account. All you have to do is request a download of the relevant data. As with the deactivation and deletion of your account, the easiest way to do this is via the browser of your PC.
- Log in to Instagram and tap on “Profile”.
- Now click on “Edit profile” and then on “Privacy and security”.
- Now scroll down to the point “Data download” and tap on “Request Download”.
- Instagram would like to know your email address that is linked to your account.
- After you have entered this, tap on “continue”.
- Finally, enter your password and click on “Request Download”.
Instagram will send you a link within 48 hours through which you can conveniently download your data. Don’t worry: Since the social network uses a packed ZIP file, you don’t have to download thousands of media individually.