Social media has become overly intense and you prefer enjoying “real life”. Many are in the same boat as you. The popular social network has become a coveted spot for many influencers, who sometimes drive people to white heat with their unrealistic snapshots. There are lots of informative pages on Instagram that keep you up to date on everything that is going on in the world. What if you’re not one of those people who read about the latest happenings of their friends at lunchtime or before bed? If you want to use the social network, you have to decide for yourself whether it is worth it for you. It should be noted that deleting your Instagram account is the best way to get rid of data ballast on the Internet if you are not using Instagram anyway. You will have to deal with your unused profile forever if you don’t do this. How easy is it to delete an Instagram account? Yes, the answer is yes! We’ll show you what to do.
Does deleting sound too drastic? Try deactivation
You shouldn’t use your account as much as possible before deciding whether to get rid of it. There is an interim solution offered by Instagram. In addition to deleting your profile, you can temporarily disable it on the social network. Instagram users will not be able to see your account in this case. Consequently, your posts, pictures, and videos, in particular, can no longer be viewed by others. This is the best solution if you want to remain anonymous for a period of time. The process of reactivating your account is quick and easy if you want to get back into action. We recommend utilizing the second option overusing your smartphone or browser on the PC since it can be more straightforward. You can deactivate your account by following these steps:
- Go to www.instagram.com and log into your profile.
- Tap on the point “Edit profile”. You now have the option of adjusting your personal data and settings.
- Now select the item “Deactivate my account” and click on the link.
- A new window opens in which you (not necessarily) specify a reason for the deactivation.
- Confirm your request again with your password and finally click on “Temporarily deactivate your account”.
When the time is right and you want to actively use Instagram again, you can easily reactivate your account. All you have to do is log in with your classic login data.
Ultima Ratio: The deletion of the account
If you don’t want to do things by halves and finally turn your back on Instagram, you can just as easily delete your account. Perhaps while reading this tutorial you also remember that you still have an unused account on Halde that you haven’t used for months? Then deleting the profile is also a sensible consideration. Fortunately, Instagram doesn’t make it difficult for you to delete an account. But on the contrary. The process is very simple and can be implemented both via the app and the browser on the PC.
Delete on the PC
- Call up the following link on the browser. This is used to delete your Instagram account.
- Log in with your account details.
- Optionally, you can again state a reason why you want to delete your account.
- Enter your password again and click on “Permanently delete my account”.
- Attention: If you own several accounts, you should make sure that the correct one is selected for deletion.
Delete via app
It is possible to delete your account in the app, but unfortunately, you have to take a few detours here.
- Open the settings and select the item “Help” and then “Help area”.
- You will now automatically exit the app and will be redirected to the browser of your smartphone.
- Now tap on “Manage your account” and then on “Delete your account”.
- Then you open the point “How do I delete my account?”.
- Scroll down a little and tap on “Delete your account”.
- This is the link that forwards you to delete your account.
- Now type in your password again and confirm again that you really want to delete your profile.
Anyone who irretrievably deletes their account on a popular social network should be aware of the consequences. This starts with the fact that all of your posts are lost. But that’s not the only thing that you no longer have access to. In addition, all pictures, videos, followers, likes, and Insta-Stories are irretrievably lost. If you are attached to your posts but don’t want to pay the price of an active account, you can do a convenient backup. Since this also involves work, deactivating your account is probably the most convenient solution in most cases. Here you can first think about whether you really want to give up your profile or not. Finally, you can always delete your account at a later point in time if the situation proves to be intolerable.
If you are afraid of losing good memories, you can save your pictures before deleting the account. All you have to do is request a download of the relevant data. As with the deactivation and deletion of your account, the easiest way to do this is via the browser of your PC.
- Log in to Instagram and tap on “Profile”.
- Now click on “Edit profile” and then on “Privacy and security”.
- Now scroll down to the point “Data download” and tap on “Request Download”.
- Instagram would like to know your email address that is linked to your account.
- After you have entered this, tap on “continue”.
- Finally, enter your password and click on “Request Download”.
Instagram will send you a link within 48 hours through which you can conveniently download your data. Don’t worry: Since the social network uses a packed ZIP file, you don’t have to download thousands of media individually.